Vegan - Vegetarian - Gluten Free - Dairy Free - Paleo - Oil Free - No Added Sugar - No Added Salt
If you ever crave chocolate in the morning (or any other time of the day for that mater - this recipe would also be perfect for dessert), then this is the recipe for you! I used a dark chocolate hazelnut spread for this recipe (I use the brand; Keen Nutrition) for the added protein mainly, but by all means, if your not worried about your protein in take, just use one serving of 70% dark chocolate. Make sure to read the label to see what one serving consists of, as it differs from bar to bar, as the square size and thickness of the chocolate varies.
This recipe is super simple, so I won't waffle on and on and I'll just get straight to the good part!
Chocolate & Toasted Coconut Baked Banana
1 large banana
1 tablespoon dark chocolate hazelnut spread/1 serving 70% dark chocolate
1 teaspoon unsweetened dessicated coconut
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Using a sharp knife, score the skin along the length of the banana on both sides.
- Remove the top layer of skin, revealing half of the banana, but leaving half of the banana protected by the skin.
- Place the banana on a baking tray (skin side down).
- Put your banana into the oven and bake for 15 - 25 minutes, depending on your oven. It takes my oven 20 minutes to bake my banana to perfection.
- Your banana is cooked when it the remaining skin has turned completely black, the banana itself looks 'dry' on top but the flesh of the banana is soft and squishy to the touch.
- While your banana is cooking, toast the coconut on a dry pan until it starts to turn golden and smells fragrant.
- Remove your banana from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes as you measure out your dark chocolate hazelnut spread.
- Smear the chocolate spread all over the top of the banana then sprinkle the toasted coconut on top.
- If you are just using dark chocolate, melt the chocolate in a small bowl or container in the microwave, then smear all over the banana.
- When melting chocolate in the microwave, ensure to heat the chocolate in 10 to 20 seconds stints, and make sure to continuously stir the chocolate between heating periods. - Serve immediately and enjoy.